Microsoft Lync Online is a next-generation cloud communications service that connects people in new ways, anytime, from virtually anywhere. Lync Online enables communications across presence, instant messaging, audio/video calling and a rich online meeting experience. This includes PC-audio, video and web conferencing. Transform your interactions with colleagues, customers and partners to a more collaborative, engaging, and effective experience.
You can purchase a subscription to Lync Online as a standalone service or as part of an Office 365 suite.
By using Lync Online you’ll be able to gain the following business benefits:
- Know whether others are available to communicate. Repeatedly attempting to reach each other by phone or email is a common communication problem in today’s business world. Presence information is especially important when you need a critical business discussion or make a time-sensitive decision. Lync Online helps you to increase individual productivity by adding presence, instant messaging, and PC-to-PC audio and video calling to your business IT infrastructure.
- Hold webinars and conference calls with customers. Even if they’re not Office 365 or Lync customers using the Lync Attendee Application. *
- Presence and click-to-communicate from Microsoft Office Outlook and SharePoint. Collaborating with others can be challenging when your workers spend most of their time in business productivity applications. Lync Online connects presence and real-time collaboration capabilities with Microsoft Office Outlook and SharePoint. This enables higher productivity by allowing workers to collaborate using the programs they’re already familiar with.
- Connect with people and be more productive through a rich and immersive online meeting experience.Online meetings enable your users to connect wherever they are through PC-based audio, video, and web conferencing, both as scheduled meetings and spontaneous, ad hoc collaboration sessions. With Lync Online, they can collaborate, share information, and coordinate their efforts in real time, all within the context of an existing workflow.
- Communicate with other organizations running Lync as well as individuals running Windows Live Messenger. The federation feature of Lync Online establishes trusted relationships between an organization and one or more external organizations. This allows users to see user presence and communicate using Instant Messaging and PC-based audio and video across organizational boundaries.
- Reduce costs. Lync Online can dramatically cut expensive business travel or costly phone bills by enabling rich and engaging communications across and outside your business. The Lync Online service allows you to focus IT resources on developing value instead of running IT infrastructure. Microsoft manages the risks and complexity of the underlying operational systems.
Lync Online comes with all Office 365 P and E Plans and, in addition to Windows PC currently has applications for MAC, Windows Phone, Android, Apple iPhone and iPad. Functionality does vary on different devices.
*There is also a Lync Attendee Client application that external people you invite to Lync meetings can download and use if they’re not an Office 365 subscriber or don’t have Lync installed on their system.
For further information on the functionality of individual components of Office 365 please refer to the Office 365 for Enterprise Service Descriptions